Job Announcement – Membership Manager
Lomakatsi is a non-profit organization that develops and implements forest and watershed restoration initiatives, programs and projects in Oregon and northern California (www.lomakatsi.org). Lomakatsi has implemented ecosystem restoration projects for over 22 years across thousands of acres of forests and miles of streams. Lomakatsi works across federal, private and tribal trust lands, and is currently managing 8 landscape-scale terrestrial and aquatic restoration agreements where projects are being developed within a 6-million-acre planning area. Restoring ecosystems requires a collaborative community-based approach. We facilitate partnerships and engagement among a diversity of stakeholders. Lomakatsi employs up to 150 forest and watershed restoration personnel at times, including 24 full-time programmatic, managerial and administrative staff, an in-house 50 person, on-the-ground workforce, and forestry and restoration operators from the communities where we work. Lomakatsi has worked closely with agency, tribal and community-based partners across multiple states and counties to implement successful ecological and habitat restoration programs, and has served as a lead partner and sponsor on several nationally recognized projects and initiatives. Lomakatsi works with partners providing technical assistance and capacity in project development, planning, management, fine-scale ecological treatment design, monitoring, and implementation for ecosystem restoration projects. Lomakatsi integrates restoration practice with science delivery, education and workforce training. Lomakatsi coordinates closely with multiple funding partners and manages a diverse workforce in complex social settings supported by critical community engagement and outreach. Lomakatsi has an established history of working cooperatively with the community facilitating all-lands restoration partnerships with federal and state agencies for the implementation of wildlife habitat improvements, forest restoration, and watershed management. Lomakatsi also brings added capacity to address socio-economic challenges for rural forest and rangeland based communities, by layering our existing education, and workforce development programs into initiatives and project, including our Ecological Workforce Training and Employment Program, Tribal Ecosystem Restoration Partnership Program and Youth Ecological Training and Employment Program. Through the operation of 10 programs, our staff of restoration practitioners, ecologists, workforce trainers and educators work to increase community understanding and involvement in forest and watershed restoration.
Lomakatsi Restoration Project seeks an experienced, motivated and creative professional to build upon its existing non-profit membership program. A successful candidate will utilize traditional and innovative strategies to maintain, build and engage our membership base. Applicants should have at least three years’ experience managing a membership program. Those with experience in natural resource or conservation organizations are encouraged to apply. The membership manager will work from our office in Ashland, OR. Duties are performed under the prioritization and supervision of Lomakatsi’s Program Director.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works with Lomakatsi’s leadership to develop, implement and benchmark strategies and campaigns that build and engage Lomakatsi’s membership base of individuals and business supporters.
- Writes, produces and distributes membership solicitation materials through standard mail, email, website and social media.
- Oversees membership management process and system.
- Oversees and manage canvass program.
- Manages volunteers and work with Lomakatsi’s project managers to develop hands-on engagement opportunities.
- Engages with local businesses to cultivate financial and in-kind support.
- Serves as the first point of contact to membership inquiries.
- Works closely with the communications manager on communications that support all membership outreach and recruitment strategies, special events and programs.
- Tracks and conducts follow-up efforts with all prospective members from program/event invitations; and create new opportunities for exposure to Lomakatsi’s programs and events.
- Maintains membership analytics and data; monitor and track retention trends and statistics.
- Develops a strong relationship with leadership team and in partnership with them establish and track a metrics system to assess progress.
- Coordinates with others, in the Lomakatsi team, to align efforts for a comprehensive regional membership building strategy.
- Attends and represents Lomakatsi at project site tours, and outreach events.
- Gives presentations to help market the organization.
- Assists in the management of Lomakatsi’s website and social media accounts.
- Maintains monthly and weekly work plans.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills:
Bachelor’s degree and/or 3 to 5 years’ relevant experience. Background knowledge of ecology and the history of forest management in the West is a plus. Demonstrated leadership skills in planning and working collaboratively with colleagues and partnering organizations in order to effectively monitor and ensure smooth communication with the public. Ability to walk/hike in the woods and along streams in order to visit project sites. A demonstrated passion and commitment to Lomakatsi Restoration Project’s mission and philosophy, or equivalent.
- Outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Competence with membership database and donation management (Constant Contact and DonorSnap).
- Detail-oriented, well organized, able to juggle multiple priorities.
- Ability to self-direct and take initiative.
- Leadership skills along with a collaborative and collegial work style.
- Understanding and experience working with volunteers in a not-profit service oriented organization.
- Ability to interact with a diverse staff, community members and partners with kindness and integrity – must be culturally and socially agile.
- Ability to think strategically about planning and management.
- Spanish literacy a plus.
- Minimum software expertise: Word, Outlook (email, contact and calendar), DonorSnap, Constant Contact
- Other software skills a plus: PowerPoint, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat, WordPress
Lomakatsi strives to provide competitive salaries and benefits within the nonprofit community.
- Salary is commensurate with experience, $40,000 to $50,000 per year.
- Paid medical, and dental plan.
- Paid vacation.
- Simple IRA plan with opportunity for match.
- One-page cover letter
- 3-4 work samples that demonstrate experience in membership development and communications (e.g. solicitation letter, event plan, outreach campaign, etc.)
- Three current professional references.
- Closes October 18, 2017.
Send to email@example.com with subject “Membership manager application.” No phone calls please.
This job description is intended to provide an overview of the requirements of the position. It is not necessarily all-inclusive, and the job may require other essential and non-essential functions, tasks, duties, or responsibilities not listed herein. Management reserves the sole right to add, modify, or exclude any essential or non-essential requirements at any time with or without notice. Nothing in this job description, or by the completion of any requirement of the job by the employee, is intended to create a contract of employment of any type.